Although it has not really affected the broader smartphone field, Sony still maintains a large and loyal fan base. The flagship product lineup is not large, so it is undoubtedly much easier for Sony to update the Xperia series to Android 11.
The Japanese company has now confirmed its Android 11 roadmap for selected Xperia devices, including Xperia 1 II, Xperia 5 II, Xperia 10 II, Xperia 1, and Xperia 5. How streamlined Sony’s work on Android has become in recent years.
With Android 11, the latest version of the Google operating system is in its infancy. Owners of current Sony Xperia smartphones have reason to be happy: Starting in December, Sony will gradually provide them with Android 11, starting with the current high-end devices Xperia 1 II and Xperia 5 II.
Therefore, the current flagship Xperia flagship product-Xperia 1 II-will be the first to update Android 11 from this month (December 2020). Next are Xperia 5 II and Xperia 10 II, which will receive the latest operating system updates from the end of January 2021. The previous flagship products Xperia 1 and 5 will start to upgrade their operating systems from January 2021.
Unfortunately, Sony did not provide any information about the original Xperia 10 and 10 Plus-maybe support for these devices has ended. However, based on Sony’s Android Pie and Android 10 versions, the Android 11 upgrade should be quite lightweight. Sony did share the following new features:
- Chat management in one place. Important conversations with friends and family in different apps can be shown on the lock screen.
- Conversation bubbles. Conversations from any messenger app (provided the function is supported by the app) can now be pinned to the screen so that they can always be seen overall screen contents and can be used even better when multitasking.
- Screen recording. The recording of the screen in the form of a video is now supported directly in Android 11 and no longer has to be activated via a separate app.
- One app for all smart devices. Smart devices in the household such as heating, light, or security systems can be controlled via an integrated app that opens automatically with a long press on the power button.
- Audio selection. Quick setup to control media playback. Simply switch from headphones to speakers with the push of a button so that no sound is missed.
- Voice control. Faster and easier access to apps thanks to intuitive voice commands – even without an internet connection.
- More security. Additional security and privacy updates are sent automatically and directly from Google Play to the Xperia smartphone so that the latest protection measures are always installed.
- Easier access authorization for apps. Which applications are allowed to access confidential data and which are not can now be conveniently regulated using a one-time authorization. For applications that have not been used for a long time, all authorizations are automatically reset.