Gone are the days of storing your phone and wallet in your back pocket or purse. Nowadays, in addition to credit cards and cash, there is another convenient option: mobile payment solutions.
You can use your mobile wallet to pay for online transactions, or you can use the built-in chip in your phone to pay for in-store purchases. Samsung Pay is a proprietary mobile wallet you can find on newer Samsung devices.
This app comes with convenient tools to manage your funds and make payments online and in stores. Getting started is very easy, and soon you will wonder how to shop without this app.
What is Samsung Pay?
Samsung Pay is an Android application that can be used with certain Samsung devices to allow them to communicate with payment terminals. Go out to buy a new dress, or buy coffee at your favorite cafe?
You can forget your credit or debit card at home, but you can use the Samsung Pay app. Your smartphone can use NFC technology to easily make payments on any terminal that supports wireless payments, but this is not unique.
Not all retail stores have caught up with the times, and many stores are still using old payment terminals that do not support new payment technologies such as Apple Pay and Google Pay. However, Samsung has taken it to a new level by providing MST (Magnetic Secure Transmission) technology in its smartphones.
Therefore, you can pay on any terminal that accepts cards-without wireless compatibility. MST sends out a signal that simulates the black stripes on the back of the card, making older terminals only think that you are swiping the card manually.
How to set up Samsung Pay?
First, check if you have a compatible Samsung smartphone. Except for several Galaxy A devices, all Galaxy devices since the S6 and Note devices have built-in technology.
Many Samsung wearables also have Samsung Pay, which allows you to make payments quickly through your wrist-no smartphone required.
After confirming that your Samsung smartphone is compatible with Samsung Pay, please follow the steps below:
- First, open the Samsung Pay app on the device.
- After opening the app on your device, click the “Get Started” button.
- Then you can choose to use iris or fingerprint scanning or just use the PIN to set up the app.
- When only a PIN code is selected, you will be prompted to enter a four-digit PIN code, which will be used to protect your information in the future-enter it twice for verification.
- Click the menu button in the upper left corner of the screen. Then, in the pop-up window, select the “Add Credit/Debit Card” option.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to scan your card, complete the setup, and agree to all terms and conditions. You can also add cards manually. The app will ask you if you want to set Samsung Pay as the default mobile payment service.
- To continue, select Set as default. If you have set a default payment application (such as Google Pay), the application will ask you if you want to replace it.
It is important to note that not all banks currently support Samsung Pay. However, including most credit card companies, including American Express, Visa, and MasterCard.
By default, the Samsung Pay app is pre-installed on Galaxy devices, but if you delete it at some point, you can easily reinstall it.
How to add Samsung Pay to my smartwatch?
If you have a compatible Galaxy Wearable device, you can add Samsung Pay anytime, anywhere for secure payments. However, it must be understood that wearable devices only support NFC.
Since Galaxy Wearable devices do not support MST, you will need to use a payment terminal that supports contactless payments. Set up Samsung Pay:
- First, open the “Galaxy Wearable” application.
- Then click Samsung Pay on the “Home” tab.
- Here, you can click the plus (+) button in the upper right corner to add a credit or debit card, similar to your smartphone.
On some newer Galaxy watches, setting up Samsung Pay is even easier:
- First press and hold the back (top) button for a few seconds.
- If it is the first time to use, Samsung Pay may take a few seconds to start.
- Click the arrow to start setting. On the phone, tap OK to open Samsung Pay, and then tap Start. You may need to log in to your Samsung account.
- Tap the three dots on the watch, and then tap +Add card to add a card. You can tap “Open” to set the watch’s lock screen.
- If you haven’t set up your watch yet, we recommend that you do this. Enter a four-digit PIN on the watch, and then enter it twice to verify. You can now start adding your payment card.
After you have fully set up Samsung Pay on your Galaxy Wearable, you can use your smartwatch to pay for transactions and view any recent purchases made through the service.
Please note that watches and smartphones will only show transactions made on their hardware-they will not be shared between devices.
How can I use Samsung Pay to pay?
Galaxy smartphone: Out shopping and ready to pay? The system will prompt you to select the card you want to use, and after verifying your identity, you will be prompted to lean the back of your Samsung smartphone against the card terminal.
To make payments quickly, we recommend that you use your fingerprint to protect your device, and then you can use the fingerprint in the Samsung Pay app.
Wearable Galaxy: After setting up Samsung Pay on your Galaxy Wearable device, press and hold the back key to launch the app.
Then you can select the card you want to use and click the “Pay” button. Tap the wearable device on the terminal (just like your smartphone) to initiate the transaction.
Is Samsung Pay safe to use?
After setting up Samsung Pay, you may want to know how safe the service is for daily use. The good news is that you shouldn’t bother. For starters, none of your personal or financial information will be stored directly on the Samsung device.
Besides, if someone wants to control your Samsung smartphone or wearable device, that information will be protected by your security PIN or biometric data such as fingerprint or iris scan.