Nowadays, streaming services like Netflix and Hulu are so popular that it is difficult to find movies available for download. Although some services allow you to save movies for offline viewing, you can’t actually store their files on a USB drive. This post teaches you how to download a movie from the Internet legally and save it to a removable flash drive.
First Step: 1
- Find the movie you want to download. Unless you find a movie that is freely available in the public domain, it is illegal to download a commercial movie from the Internet.
- This means that if you download a free “Avengers” movie on a torrent site, you may actually be fined $750 to $30,000.
- That is an expensive movie! Instead, try to use any of the following resources to download movies that will not cause legal trouble:
- Feature Films from the Internet Archive.
- Vuze StudioHD network (Bittorrent client required)
- Public domain torrent (Bittorrent client required).
- You can also check “How to download YouTube videos” to learn how to download videos from YouTube-just make sure to get permission first.
- There are a lot of movie torrent sites there. Remember that downloading copyrighted movies is illegal and will definitely attract people’s attention (especially when they are not using a secure VPN).
Second Step: 2
- Download the video file to your computer. The specific steps depend on the type of website you are using. If you are using an Internet archive or other non-torrent site, you just need to click the name of the movie and select the “download” link.
- It looks like an up and down arrow, or it may contain the size and/or resolution of the video. If you are using a torrent site, such as Vuze or Public Domain Torrents, please follow the steps below:
- If the Bittorrent client has not been installed, please install it first. Some popular options are uTorrent and the original BitTorrent.
- Click on the title of the video and select the “Download” link, which may look like a downward arrow or even a link with the video size and/or resolution. This will download files ending in “.torrent” to your computer.
- Double-click the downloaded .torrent file in the default download folder. This will open your BitTorrent client.
- If the BitTorrent client has not been set up, you will usually be asked to choose a download location. Your download should start immediately.
Third Step: 3
- Insert the flash drive into the computer. It should fit into the USB port in your computer case.
Fourth Step: 4
- Copy movie files. Click the downloaded movie file, and then press Ctrl + C (PC) or ⌘Command + C to copy.
- If you are using a Mac, you can also copy files by clicking the “Edit” menu and selecting “Copy”.
- If you are using a PC, click the search bar, type This PC, and press Enter. If you are using a Mac, click the two-tone smiley face icon on the Dock, which is usually located at the bottom of the screen.
- Turn on your flash drive. If you are using Windows, double-click its icon in the center panel. If you are using a Mac, click on it in the left panel.
- If you are using Windows and you don’t see anything under the “Devices and Drives” heading, double-click the heading.
- Right-click on a blank area of the flash drive and select “Paste”. This will copy the movie to your flash drive. If the movie is a large file, it may take a few minutes.
- If you are using a Mac, you can also click the “Edit” menu and select “Paste”.
- Eject your flash drive. After the movie file is successfully transferred to the flash drive, you can safely eject the flash drive.
- If you are using a Mac, click the up arrow to the right of the flash drive name in the left panel.
- If you are using Windows, click the flash drive icon in the lower right corner of the screen, and then select eject.
- Remove your flash drive. When prompted, you can pull the flash drive out of the port on the computer.