DuckDuckGo Browser, an internet search engine aimed at preserving user privacy, promises free private searches, no ad tracking, and smarter encryption.
It appears that the 13-year-old company is in a very good position to meet internet users’ increasing desire for privacy in an era of data leaks.
Over 50 million downloads and a 55% increase in traffic were reported by SpreadPrivacy.com in a June report about DuckDuckGo’s popularity.
Google’s privacy tools offer users another way to protect their digital privacy, like Apple’s opt-out option, which 84% of Apple users have chosen since iOS 14.5 was released.
DuckDuckGo Browser also offers a privacy browser app and extension for Chrome, as well as a private search engine.
Visit DuckDuckGo.com and search there if you don’t want to install an app or extension. Here’s how you can use DuckDuckGo in your browser or on your mobile device.
How can I install DuckDuckGo Browser on my Android phone?
- Open the Google Play Store
- Use DuckDuckGo for your search
- Select DuckDuckGo as your privacy browser
- Tap the Install button
- Press the Open button
- If you choose to use DuckDuckGo as your default browser, DuckDuckGo Browser will ask you whether to use Google Chrome. Click Set As Default to select your preferred option.
- The first step is to conduct a quick search with DuckDuckGo as a tutorial. DuckDuckGo immediately notified me that it had blocked two ad-trackers after I searched an electrical store that I frequent.
DuckDuckGo Browser also lets you see the grade that DuckDuckGo gave the website you visited, how many trackers were blocked, whether the connection is encrypted, and what privacy practices the site adheres to.
Any sensitive information you have stored on your tabs can be deleted by tapping the flame icon next to the search bar. You can “burn” your personal information by tapping Clear All Tabs and Data.
Where can I download DuckDuckGo Browser for my iPhone?
- Launch the App Store
- Do a search on DuckDuckGo
- Choose DuckDuckGo as your privacy browser
- Tap on the Get button
- Verify the download by entering your Apple ID password or Touch ID.
- Press the open button
- If you set DuckDuckGo as your default browser, DuckDuckGo will ask you if you want to keep it that way. Select the option to set it as your default browser.
- When DuckDuckGo redirects you to your Settings app, you can make any additional changes or see what data your program can access. Besides selecting Safari as your default browser here, you can also select DuckDuckGo.
Once your settings are configured the way you want them, you can run searches. By clicking the fire icon, the app allowed users to wipe their personal data from the browser as well as set a privacy level for the site.
DuckDuckGo Browser Chrome extension: How do I use it?
You can add the private search engine to Chrome via DuckDuckGo’s website by clicking a button under the search bar.
- Use Google Chrome to launch DuckDuckGo
- Click the Add DuckDuckGo to Chrome button. A Chrome Web Store page will open.
- In the top right corner, click Add to Chrome.
- Privacy Essentials will be asked if you wish to add it to DuckDuckGo. DuckDuckGo will be able to block ad trackers and keep your searches private. You can add the extension by clicking the Add Extension button.
- The extension will be installed successfully after you’re redirected to a page. DuckDuckGo’s privacy browser can also be downloaded on mobile devices through the page.
- To access DuckDuckGo’s main search bar, click Start Searching when you’re ready.
DuckDuckGo will now appear in Chrome instead of Google’s search bar when you open a new tab or window.